Skip to main content

Social Justice Quest


This week we're exploring the not a game, e-lit "game" Quing's Quest VII the self-proclaimed anti-video game e-lit piece, subtitled, The Death of Video Games. The concept of this game is that it was supposed to show the way that the feminist movement is going to be the death of video games. This was shocking and interesting to me, to think that the idea of women playing video games would lead to the death of them. The idea of a woman's involvement means things being domesticated or softened up.

When you enter the game the colors are very bright and feminine. You can't get any more feminine than neon pink and green.


When you hover over the words in this section they change. 


The words start to sparkle as if they were struck with fairy dust. Now when you select the outfit choice, you're taken to another link where now you can select different outfit choices which are extremely over the top and ridiculous which aligns with the tone being set by the authors of this e-lit piece. Even though this was supposed to be satirical and highlight everything that is wrong with the new wave of video games, I enjoyed it. And I didn't mind the extra girly back almost leftist agenda that the piece seems to contain. Even with the overt connections to the female gender stereotypes, the piece did make a point to mention that the gorgeous person is of an "indistinct gender." So there was some inconsistency there. It didn't take too long for me to navigate through the entire story. I did, in fact, enjoy it. But, I never got a sense that it was connected to a video game at all. I probably wouldn't have made that connection if I hadn't read the first page.

And also, this piece was written by a Canadian and yet I felt a lot of the references were poking fun at or calling attention to a specific liberal group of Americans and their way of life especially with the flushing of the toilet that is a vaporizing, fake toilet. Or the mention of vegan food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Thoughs on E-Lit

E-Lit exceeded my expectations. It was everything I thought I was looking for in an electronic literature class and more. I learned more than I ever thought I was going to learn. Honestly, I didn't have true expectations other than I thought we would read different stories online. It didn't really dawn on me how the stories would be presented. Or that the mere fact that these works live in an online space make them electronic literature. Growing up I was always a fan of stories where I got to choose my own adventure. All of the electronic literature pieces we read where the course of the plot relied on my decision to click a certain word were some of my favorite e-lit pieces. The last text we read Quing's Quest sticks out to me as it is the most recent but I really enjoyed the bright and vibrant colors. Originally, when I thought of electronic literature I used to think in terms of fan fiction websites where people create their own storylines to their favor

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I should be ashamed of myself for being a procrastinator. It is all my fault. However, if I am being totally honest, life got in my way-- seriously. It was a series of unfortunate events. I swear. Let me start with last week's class. While sitting in class my computer decides this was the "later" time that it should update to the newest setting of whatever system my MacBook Pro is now running on. Then right when it was time to start group work, I get a text message telling that my mom was being rushed to the hospital and I had to come and get my daughters. Now, thank God my mom is okay. She couldn't move and was in an excruciating amount of pain because according to the doctor, she now has sciatica. This is in addition to all of the other back and arthritis ailments that plague her. Sorry, mom, I love you. You're the best! Anyway, that even sent my weekend on a tailspin. I went from showing up to Thanksgiving to now, hosting. I had to make a mad dash on Wedn