Skip to main content

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I should be ashamed of myself for being a procrastinator. It is all my fault. However, if I am being totally honest, life got in my way-- seriously. It was a series of unfortunate events. I swear.

Let me start with last week's class. While sitting in class my computer decides this was the "later" time that it should update to the newest setting of whatever system my MacBook Pro is now running on. Then right when it was time to start group work, I get a text message telling that my mom was being rushed to the hospital and I had to come and get my daughters. Now, thank God my mom is okay. She couldn't move and was in an excruciating amount of pain because according to the doctor, she now has sciatica. This is in addition to all of the other back and arthritis ailments that plague her. Sorry, mom, I love you. You're the best!

Anyway, that even sent my weekend on a tailspin. I went from showing up to Thanksgiving to now, hosting. I had to make a mad dash on Wednesday to get all of the food, instead of my normal pot of collard greens. Then I cooked all Wednesday into Thursday. And well on Friday I recuperated, slowly working myself out of my Thanksgiving coma. Saturday was a day spent cleaning up from Thanksgiving and well, Sunday was cheerleading and lesson plans. I say all of that to say. I did not get a chance to sit down and work on my e-lit blog until Monday night. And when that happened I kept getting this screen below.

I tried all last night but for each piece both Uncle Roger and Separation I got that message. So by 11pm I was tired and so I decided to go to bed and try again today at work. First off, my job won't let me be great. Every moment of the day I had a student who needed my attention at the very single moment and I had to oblige them. Then, I had an author come and visit my Project Lit Bookclub students. So when I finally was able to check the two sites at work I still got the same error message. 

So I had a bright idea to wait until I get to class and finish the blog while the e-lit piece is being presented. But, since I have to meet with my daughter's teachers because the November snowstorm caused us to have to reschedule, I won't even see the pieces in class because I will be late.  So yea, I said all of that to say that I will have nothing to contribute to the two pieces discussed tonight. But, it is not from a lack of trying.

That brings me to my e-lit piece. Well, I have the Instagram page up and I'm using actual photos for the Instagram. But I think the other element will be a Prezi piece. In this Prezi application, I will figure out a way to incorporate the Instagram page and photos. I've been playing around with Prezi and I like the idea of coming in and out of the information via the moving bubbles. What I am wondering if it will allow me to hyperlink things out or how I can add songs to that part of the presentation. I've been thinking a lot about different songs that would and should go along with my novel and this e-lit piece. And not that I am really equipped to do the sound application I want to at least try. So at the very least, I can include a link out to YouTube and include different sound bites or songs.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Justice Quest

This week we're exploring the not a game, e-lit "game" Quing's Quest VII the self-proclaimed anti-video game e-lit piece, subtitled,  The Death of Video Games.  The concept of this game is that it was supposed to show the way that the feminist movement is going to be the death of video games. This was shocking and interesting to me, to think that the idea of women playing video games would lead to the death of them. The idea of a woman's involvement means things being domesticated or softened up. When you enter the game the colors are very bright and feminine. You can't get any more feminine than neon pink and green. When you hover over the words in this section they change.  The words start to sparkle as if they were struck with fairy dust. Now when you select the outfit choice, you're taken to another link where now you can select different outfit choices which are extremely over the top and ridiculous which aligns with the tone being

Final Thoughs on E-Lit

E-Lit exceeded my expectations. It was everything I thought I was looking for in an electronic literature class and more. I learned more than I ever thought I was going to learn. Honestly, I didn't have true expectations other than I thought we would read different stories online. It didn't really dawn on me how the stories would be presented. Or that the mere fact that these works live in an online space make them electronic literature. Growing up I was always a fan of stories where I got to choose my own adventure. All of the electronic literature pieces we read where the course of the plot relied on my decision to click a certain word were some of my favorite e-lit pieces. The last text we read Quing's Quest sticks out to me as it is the most recent but I really enjoyed the bright and vibrant colors. Originally, when I thought of electronic literature I used to think in terms of fan fiction websites where people create their own storylines to their favor